PRHYLI - Capital District Delegation
The Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican/Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute is sponsored by the New York State Puerto Rican Hispanic Task Force and the New York State Education Department. The goals of the Institute are to develop leadership skills in Latino/Hispanic youth; to create opportunities for Latino/Hispanic students to interact with positive role models such as Puerto Rican/Latino elected officials, educators, and business leaders; to create partnerships and conversations among educators, business leaders and students, and to develop in depth knowledge of the state legislative process.
In preparation for the Institute a local training program sponsored by the Capital District RBERN is conducted. Students that apply for the program are trained over the winter and twelve students are then selected to participate in the Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican/Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute in Albany at the end of March.
During the three-day Institute in Albany, students participate in leadership activities, network with high school students from across New York State, participate in a mock assembly, interact with legislatures and attend a Student Recognition Dinner where college scholarships are awarded to seniors on a competitive basis.
For the application and training schedule, please see links below.
For information, visit the Angelo Del Toro PRHYLI statewide website.
- New York State Senate
- New York State Assembly
- New York State Assembly Puerto Rican/Hispanic Taskforce
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI)
- Hispanic/Latino US Congress members
- Status and trends in the Education of Hispanics
State Wide Forms (required for submission):
- College Survey PDF- Word document
- Participant Information Form PDF - Word document
- Parental Medical Consent (English) PDF - Word document
- Parental Medical Consent (Spanish) PDF - Word document
- Student Contract PDF - Word document
- Revised rules of conduct PDF - Word document
Hispanic/Latino Leaders Information: